Amberley Village has engaged in OpenGov to give residents a dynamic and interactive look at their community’s financial data. OpenGov is a portal linked to the Village website that puts the finances at residents’ fingertips around-the-clock. Anyone can access the financial data by viewing charts and graphs or downloading the information into an Excel spreadsheet.
This interactive financial reporting tool allows citizens to explore budget data online in various graphical formats selected by the user. Users have the opportunity to view, filter, and analyze revenues, expenses, and financial trends. The portal is designed to enhance visibility and openness of the Village’s financial data and provide a more interactive, user-friendly approach in addition to the financial documents normally posted as individual files on the website.
Frequently Asked Questions to get you started…
Tips on How to Use the Portal
The Portal allows you to explore budget and historical finances in a simple graphical user interface. The main view (shown above) includes a chart or graph, a legend and various controls to view expenses by departments out of various funds.
- You’ll notice the title of the chart or graph you are viewing on top along with the account type selector. You can use the filter to see the data that is of most interest to you.
- To focus on specific data – like a fund, department, expense type, or any combination – look to the left and use the menu on the side panel. These selectors allow you to specify exactly what breakdown you want the graph or table to represent. When you select “Filtered By” the data filter pops up and allows you to turn on or turn off selected filters for that category – funds, departments, expense type.
- Keep in mind that some departments or expenses only receive funds from specific funds – if the department or expense is not funded from a particular fund, it will be grayed out.
- There are five different types of visual representations of the data – an area graph, an area graph by percentage, a line graph, a pie graph and a table. You can change your view by type at any point by simply selecting the different type of representation. The data will automatically convert. These functions are on the top right.
- You can also download the data into a .csv spreadsheet and .png image.
- You can share the data (any view of the data) on a social network or by email.