Vacation House Check

House Check

If you are going on vacation or will be gone from your home for a period of time, let the Public Safety Department direct special attention to your home while you are away. For your convenience, you may notify the Department via fax or phone:

  • TO FAX, open the .pdf version of the Vacation/Vacant House Check Form to print (see below), complete and fax to 513-531-1680 or drop off at the Municipal Building.
  • TO CALL, dial the Police Department at 513-531-2040. They will record your emergency contact information.

Follow these Crime Prevention Tips from the Public Safety Department to help protect yourself and your property.

Before Leaving on Vacation

Include these steps as part of your trip preparation to deter burglary while you’re away. The idea is to make things look as they normally do when you are at home. Here are some suggestions for creating this impression:

  • Keep shades and blinds in their normal positions.
  • Stop mail or newspaper delivery, or arrange for someone to pick them up everyday.
  • Lock all doors and windows.
  • Activate your security alarm if you have one.
  • Arrange for lawn service or snow removal at proper times.
  • Put timers on several household lights so they turn on and off at appropriate times.
  • Leave a radio on or put it on a timer.
  • Inform a trusted neighbor of your travel plans and ask him or her to keep an eye out for suspicious people or activity.
  • Don’t allow deliveries of any kind to accumulate on your doorstep.
  • Cancel them or ask a neighbor to pick them up.
  • Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway overnight.
  • Refrain from publicizing your trip ahead of time.
  • Turn down the ringer on your telephone so that if a burglar is around, he won’t be alerted to your absence by a ringing phone.
  • Arrange for the Amberley Public Safety Department to conduct regular checks of your home while you’re away.
PDF icon Vacation-Vacant House Check Form48.72 KB